Thursday, September 5, 2013

Whispers in the South


Lately, I have found myself taking part in various whispered conversations either at work or among my friends.  These discussions range from silly to serious, but they all have one thing in common.  They are unacceptable topics of conversation in the South. Below are two situations I encounter regularly.


The funniest and most common unmentionable topic is of course the casting of 50 Shades of Grey.  At work, at a family members house, and out at lunch with friends this sly subject sneaks its way into the atmosphere.  In hushed tones, someone blushes, clears their throat, shuffles around nervously, and whispers.  “Have you heard?  They have picked the actors for 50 Shades.”   This is hilarious.  Why are they whispering when they know that everyone around them has already read these books and bought the t-shirt?  These are the same people that when asked if they have read these books they shuffle, turn red, look everywhere but at the person who asked them while giving the pseudo-answer. “Hmm.” 


From a funny topic to a serious but wonderful topic: Spirituality.  This too is always whisper worthy. Due to wide media coverage, the spread of yoga and meditation, and growing accessibility, spirituality has reached the religion-crazed South.  Now, on top of Wednesday and Sunday church going, people are becoming interested in sparking their own divine connection.  For years, I have been known as the weird vegetarian hippie girl whose ideas of healthy living were a little strange. Recently, I have become the go-to girl for all things life-expanding.  Friends and acquaintances approach me almost daily with a wide variety of questions regarding whether I think meditation would be useful for them, how should they meditate, what exactly is yoga, or why is it better to only buy food on the outside ring of the grocery store. And, sometimes, I get the wonderful questions about my thoughts of reincarnation, God, spirit, etc. People are interested in finding a deeper connection that works with their fundamental beliefs. Yet, all of these things are asked of me in the same shame-filled but slightly curious way of the above questions about 50 Shades of Grey, as if they were not entirely sure they should speak of such things. 





I have come to realize that there is  astigmatism to being raised Southern.  All around people are curious to know more about many things in life but are strangely reluctant to ask or to learn. But, eventually, like cats, their curiosity gets the better of them, and their questions come out in whispers.

2 comments:

  1. BOOKS....are a good thing. 50 Shades of Grey, especially the email notations, was quite entertaining. I think we need to occasionally read books such as this series in order to converse with some intelligence when the time for current event discussions arise. Fantasy plays major roles in our online and daily existence, and we all live to spew the best and most memorable quotes from these epic tales and incorporate them into our lives as fact. Fiction reflects reality, and The Red Room of Pain is, at the very least, my favorite color. Southerners and their secrets are as common as a black crow sitting on a barbed wire fence..down here, you see them every day. All my life it has been this way. Though it is considered as graciousness, I really don't get the hush-hush, sweep-it-under-the-carpet ways that are prevalent here in good old Southern-manners- land....Pretending things never happened, never EVER crossing the line of poor or no etiquette or the game of pretending to do things or not do things only because of how they appear to others completely turns me off. I've seen it, I've had my mother explain it to me, I just don't participate. Having a bit of class is one thing. Making a mockery of the truth is another. BOOKS can change all this shifty, closeted curiosity, if only people would take the time to read something of value. Maybe you learned something new when reading 50 Shades...who am I to judge? Wake up, southern neighbors!! There is a big world out there, and it doesn't all involve sweet tea, swimming holes, softball and fried chicken. It is like a disease with me, this thirst for knowledge and understanding..the more interesting things I read about, the more things I want to know about, up close..and personal. Whispers should be saved for the monumental important things in a genteel life, such as "psst, will you pass me that last shortbread cookie".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I would love a shortbread cookie!

      I encounter "pretend it never happened" a lot right alongside "did you hear about so and so?" This is a daily occurrence.

      Delete