Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Rockin' Southern Meditation



How many times a day do you read or hear someone say, “you should try meditation”.  Once a practice for the mystical gurus only, now it has become part of most of our everyday lives. Even down here in the South.  There are a great variety of meditation methods you can choose from.  The uses for a meditation practice are so wide-spread that the definition of meditation encompasses many different ideas. The two most common uses for meditation are stress relief and spiritual connection. In fact, meditation really is in whatever form simply about connected with a deeper part of one’s consciousness.  The reason may be different, but connection is what meditation is all about.  



There was once a time when the topic of meditation was not heard of in the South, or perhaps, it was not well thought of in the South.  Due to a lack of understanding of the benefits of a regular meditation practice, the idea of it was dismissed. Unless you count sitting in a rocker on the front porch sipping sweet tea and counting your blessings as “meditation”. Now, times have changed and more information has become widespread for everyone.  Even in my small backwoods part of the world, the topic of meditation is becoming one that is much discussed and even practiced.  I first noticed the change in my weekly yoga class. Once the ending meditation, (where everyone rests in shavasana) was simply referred to as a five-minute relaxation period to “forget all of the worries of the day.” Now, after years of building a good yoga class, our teacher is able to move her students through a guided meditation that almost always goes way past the typical five minutes of relaxation.  Because her students are more receptive to the idea they are able to absorb more of the benefits.





I recently learned that several of the local colleges include meditation classes as part of their psychology, sociology and health classes.   These classes teach students various ways and forms of meditation to help them in their lives, and they are given ample time, thirty minutes to an hour of each class to practice these techniques and reap the benefits of what they have learned.




In short, the message has spread and been heard.  The art of meditation has spread in its many forms.  It has always been available, but now it’s familiar enough for the naturally superstitious Southern lot to try.  As an avid meditation practitioner, I am overjoyed that I now encounter others who are also benefiting from this simple activity.  Connecting with one's inner self can seem daunting, but it can also help filter out the stresses of the modern world. 


4 comments:

  1. I fully intended to comment here regarding Miss Clapton’s discussion on meditation. Unfortunately, I nodded off. I often find myself totally immersed in a place of Nirvana, Neverland, if you will, where I can sit for hours and dream and think and not even realize that I have conveniently shut out all the crap in my life- things like where I will find money to pay my car mechanic, or what the heck is for dinner, who posted a photo of what on facebook or do I really need to listen and follow the instructions of a doctor who’s opinion I value a level less than advice given in an old issue of the Reader’s Digest magazine.

    So, yeah, I tune out. Often, I just find myself preferring to spend a bit of time zoning into another world where sitars or hang drums or Native American flutes or drums fill up my senses and focus with a purer sense of what is valuable and true. I believe that music IS God. Maybe you believe that music is just what you crank as you cruise, to tune out the hubby, the kids, or the bastard who cut you off a red light back. I have always been able to immerse in music, drowning in its healing powers. So, I know from this alone that I possess in massive doses the qualifications needed to meditate.

    Then, there is the crazy hermit side of me. I walk around in my kitchen, making , let’s say, bruschetta. Talking all the while, usually aloud. “Well, are you happy now, God. (fill in with your preferred name of Higher Power if God doesn’t work for ya here).
    Here I am, slapping this together as fast as I can go, I am trying to be helpful and prepare nourishing sustenance for several bodies, and, yippy ki yay, mo fo, what do you know..NO CHEESE. (Forgiveness is Divine, and I know He forgives me when I , in jest, call HIM “mofo”) Now, how in the world can I put food on the table like this, with no cheese! Meditation is about being of service to others and having the mindset which allows you to cheerfully do this, I think. But, I can go on and on with my rant about what I don’t have, instead of focusing and being thankful for what I DO have, slamming cabinet doors, huffing and puffing…and though the infamous “cheese of desire” doesn’t miraculously appear on my Paula Deen cutting board, almost ALWAYS, something that will work as well, if not better, will be found. Or someone shows up at the back door bringing in EXACTLY whatever ingredient that might be needed. This happens to me all the time, when I am sending out my little wishes and needs into the Universe. Of course, following all of this adage of “you will always have what you need”, I have to eat a little crow, right?, because obviously my thinking got all screwed up again, as I was busy getting myself into a tizzy while believing the stupidity that everything depended on ME…it doesn’t. Well, who knew. Oh yeah…God. (once again, fill in with your preferred name of Higher Power if God doesn’t work for ya here).

    THIS is how I meditate. In my dreams, swimming in the deepest of musical waters, in the service and preparation of fresh, tasty, healing meals, and sometimes, I even light some Nag Champa (thank you, Megan) and focus on the spiral of always that sustains me. It is the power, the light, the being, the essence, the eternal music that ever plays in my heart and fills my life while I am busy doing all these other things.. Thankfully, Spirit recognizes my many forms of meditation, even during the times when I do not.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned, meditation comes in many forms. You just have to find the one that works best for you!!!! Oh, and a life where one is out of cheese...is just awful.

      Delete
  2. I love yoga. We DO actually have classes in good ole Virginny...finally. LOL I just feel so relaxed during and after class...sucks to have to come back to work after that tho. UGH. I'd love to go to a yoga retreat. Days of that feeling would be sublime. Loving your post on this topic. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also been thinking of trying out a yoga retreat. It seems like it would be a good way to recharge/restart my body. Oh, and my brain needs a vacation. It makes me feel good to know that yoga is spreading even in the sometimes less than embracing southern regions.

      Delete