Monday, July 29, 2013

Irksome Phrases





There are phrases in the English language that are used quite often which make my skin crawl. Simple words that become red flags when used in conversation.





For No Reason: This is the excuse of all excuses.  It takes the blame away from the speaker, tossing it out into the universe un-owned.  This thing happened, not because a bad decision was made, but it happened for no reason…simply because the person is unlucky. 








I’m a whatever:  I hear this constantly.  In the South, someone is usually telling you that they are a “good” Christian right before they say or do something nasty, but it can be just about anything.  It is my opinion that if you feel the need to tell someone that you are something/anything, then you are trying to convince yourself and everyone else that you are that thing.  If you were that thing, why would you need to advertise it?


To Be Honest With You:  This is my favorite of all the irksome phrases.  When someone throws in that phrase in whatever they are trying to convey, I immediately stop listening.  Why?  I am busy trying to figure out what they were not being honest about previously.  As an attention grabber, it’s counter-productive.  Those words do not reinforce the message of the speaker.  They undermine it.



These red flag phrases are a few examples of my own pet peeves.  Can you think of anymore?

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya!! How about “Lemme check and I’ll get back with you”. Yeah, right. I will sit here and hold my breath until you do.

    Or how about, “I would love to, but”…you and they both know that whatever the “it” in question is, IT is absolutely the furthest thing from what they would LOVE to do. People already DO what they would love to do.

    Or how about the even more sneaky, yet irksome, lying by omission pals who think you don’t know exactly what they are up to simply by watching their shifty, beady little eyes whenever you ask ‘em “wazzup?”. That is because over and over and over you have to sit and listen to their repeat performances as they wail and whine, time and time again, after you and others have repeatedly told them they were soon to be falling into an eternal abyss of poo, and they know it too, yet continue to sneak and slither about right before your very eyes, in denial…How many people do you know who avoid manning up because they are ball free wonders?

    “It’s been so long, we simply must get together and….” And WHAT? Pretend like we didn’t totally enjoy the hours, months, and years we have just spent NOT talking ???

    Or how about, “he can’t help it”. This is usually babbled by some simpering Southern miss hoping her over-drinking, over-carousing, over-gambling, over-spending crapass of a man really can’t help that he is a worthless, cheating, broke-ass bum. Maybe he CAN’T help it, but the simpering miss sure as hell can.

    There are A LOT of adjectives out there in the world, free to use, free of charge. All I really would like to see is for people to not reach for the standard ones. “Awesome” is at the top of the list. Just add some creativity, please! Remember, dullness and repetitiveness and never adding anything NEW to a conversation can cause drowsiness and makes my ass twitch, and often does…just sayin’….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply could not help myself. I find that very rarely do people say what they mean. It's so rare, in fact, that I get excited when someone does exactly what they say.

      Delete