Friday, December 20, 2019

Selling a Childhood Home - Short Story Friday

Short Story Friday! Today's short comes from me, and
it's a super short one.



Selling a Childhood Home
By: Victoria Clapton

  

Large, puffy cumulus clouds rolled across the sky and the golden rays of the sun pierced through the cottony fluffs mocking the somberness that had settled upon the day.

A genesis, a new beginning, to be a pioneer in someplace new-- that is what my grandmother hoped for when she made the rash decision to sell our two-hundred plus year old family home where generations had lived.

I looked back one last time at the stately Georgian dreamscape, the only home I’d ever known, and listened to my grandmother’s pitiful attempt to convince her family that selling this part of our legacy was a good decision. I locked the beauty of our home into my mind, the pristine condition of the gardens before I jumped into my mom’s red truck, mashing the seat-belt into its locking mechanism, hoping I could erase the negativity brought on by this tragedy of a day and one day only remember my childhood home with fondness and not loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment